Saturday, March 8, 2008

36.1 km/hr = 200 Watts of Power


I've always wanted to know what my power to weight ratio is. Obviously, most of us do not have $700 to buy the device, so i wanted to know if there was a crude method of calculating by hand. In my investigation i found an informative German website www.kreuzotter.de/english. You fill in the appropriate boxes with bike, your height your weight and many various attributes that you can make asumptions on. Based on my physical attributes, i'm 5'-10" 173 lbs. to produce 400 Watts of power i need to maintain a speed of just 47.1 km/hr. Oh, is that all? Ok, let's bring it down a bit. To produce 300 Watts of power, i need to maintain a speed of 42.3 km/hr. At this point is when i said, "sheeeeit". One more time, to produce 200 Watts, i need to maintain an average speed of 36.1 km/hr. I welcome comments is you have found other methods of calculating watts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I vill ahsk ze Germans at ze Cycle Haus...http://cyclehaus.us/index.cfm
They will probably say. "Listen to me now and believe me later. Just get your little girly legs moving and push those pedal with your puny little muscles."