Saturday, July 7, 2012

2012 Barry's Bay Tri Sprint

It was the 20th Anniversary for Barry's Bay Sprint Tri. Barry's Bay is a small community east of Algonquin Park about 45 minutes drive north of Bancroft, On.(and approximately 3.5 hours north of the Centre of the Universe). By far the most enjoyable, hospitable race I do every year. The volunteers are superb. Race Director Mark Gunner does an amazing job. Fora non-profit event, it is executed better than some 70.3 's I've attended. I've been doing this event for years, and it was actually the race that began the sport of Triathlon for me. My first was done without swim goggles nor wetsuit and using my Kona Mountain Bike. This past year I finished 19th overall at the age of 49. Post race a gentleman stops me and introduces himself and was wanting to compare notes for our age category. The only thing was he thought i was in his age category of 50 plus. I think he was slightly embarrassed. A honest mistake. My top speed was just over 72 kph and having done a hilly 70.3 Mont Tremblant one week prior ; it had escaped me just how mighty the bike course is in Barry's Bay.

No comments: