Friday, November 22, 2013

review Attica Blues by Archie Shepp

Recorded January 24-26, 1972 at A&R Recording New York City, by Impulse. I was expecting something much different. Of the ten tracks, there is one (track 6)  I can actual say, i could listen to again.
It took me a total of 3 minutes and 47 seconds to skip forward from track to track to get to the end to summarize, "what a piece of shit". Sorry Archie. Some of your other creations are quite good.
But's its crap. Sounds like it was recording in a tin barn by an airport and all the instruments have been tuned for months. As I'm typing this I'm feeling overly harsh. Tell ya what Archie Shepp, I'm going to listen to "Attica Blues" again. Be fair.
I'll be back with a final assessment. Meanwhile sit tight for the inticipated review of Attica Blues by Archie Shepp.
Ok, so I listen to Attica Blues again. Marginally better. Even though Mr. Shepp has written all the pieces there is an army of friends & guest musicians who play on this disc. Therefore probably recorded in a hurray over three days. Track 1 has a jazz fusion feel to it that could have been used as background soundtrack in Eastwood's "Dirty Harry".

No comments: