Monday, February 24, 2014

I Love Peterborough Racing

 My Wife and Daughter are planning their time in Peterborough while I'm running the race. Tasha, "Dad will you be done in an hour & a half?" Me, "HELL NO!"
Last time I ran was the Hamilton Marathon first week in November. 
I started running the Peterborough Half in 2004, when the race home base was the old YMCA building. Today, the new YMCA facility makes this winter run a treat & pleasant experience. Not suggesting for a minute that I compete in races whereby we physically change our undergarments in frozen snow banks.
 This year I ran slower than in the past, mainly because I ran slower that I have in the past. It wasn't my age. It wasn't the wind in my face. It wasn't my socks. It wasn't that I overdressed. It wasn't because 9 out the 10 aid stations refused to give me a drink. I was slower than prior races. I've done this particular course in 1 hr 32 mins which for me is good. Today's time was 1 hr 41 mins.
What can be learned from this? In order to get better you need to practice.
Overheard in the locker room prior to the race. First Man not from Peterborough area doing the race for the first time, "Is this course hilly?" Second Man from Peterborough, "Well, ,.. yes,  i would say its hilly, (pauses) and reflects and then decides to be a little more forthright. Yes it is hilly especially kilometer #5.
I'm thinking to myself, buddy are you in for a surprise.


No comments: