Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Bracebridge Olympic Tri

There is something quite soothing about the Triathlon races in Gravenhurst, Bala, & Bracebridge. Yes, small town, at the same time a real calm and connectiveness among athletes. I like to personally thank John Salt, Jason, and the rest of the Multi-Sport Team for putting on.
2011 Bracebridge Olympic was personally a decent race for me. My swim time was once respectable and my bike too. On the flats heading out, I thought to myself at this pace, I might even hold a 38 kph avg and then i hit the hills and many of them. It's strange how your mind seems to forget these little details from the prior year. To the gentleman with "60" on the back of his left calf who went ripping by me, thank you for giving me hope. It can be done. I think it was Murry Legge from Richmnd Hill who held a 35.4 kph avg on the bike. One word "wow". To my friend Rex, who just suffered a terrible crash in IMLP and broke his collar bone and ribs. On the bike coming back into Bracebridge we were held up by three cars moving at 25 kph while the bikes were up around 35. After much frustration I made the attempt to pass the Honda directly in front of me on the right which i could easily see about 4 feet of clearance. I know what you're thinking and yes i agree. As I pulled even with the Honda's righthand view mirror, the Honda began to veer right leaving me with about 12 inches of asphalt before i would be forced onto the gravel shouldar. It was at this precise moment Rex, I thought of you and on went my brakes hard to put me in a position once again behind of Honda. For a brief moment I had visions of a nasty fall. No one was hurt and I'm pretty sure the young driver in the Honda was completely oblivious. Enough about the bike.
My run time was 49 minutes which i wouldn't normally post but considering a have done absolutely no running what so ever ; I'll take it.
It's unfortunate that our local Barrie race conflicts with Bracebridge as obviously it would be nice to do both. Finally to the residence of Bracebridge, thank you for your support.

No comments: