Wednesday, January 4, 2012

-23 degrees C [ -9 F ]

Returning to my truck early yesterday morning, my right hand was completely numb. In just 40 minutes of X Country skiing the burning sensation was more than uncomfortable. It was difficult to move my fingers. Only now, fumbling for my keys, I looked around and realize four other cars had arrive at Hardwood Hills. Jack Saskerville [Owner of Hardwood Hills] the only other person i saw at 8 am before i went for my skate, said, "are you dressed warm enough?". To be honest the rest of my body was fine. Just my hands ached. At -23 C don't expect great skate skiing conditions. The snow was that crisp, and the temperatures were that cold that I could here the trees crack. In fact it was so cold that going downhill was a chore. Opening the rear truck door to take my gloves off and tuck my poles & skis away i immediately recalled Jack London's short story "To Build a Fire". My hand hurt. Right now was just -9 F in the story the narrator is subjected to -100 F. In the short 15 seconds it took to remove my ski boots and put on my winter boots i imagined if i was to be isolated in the parking lot without warmth for much longer. Fortunately my truck door opened and within seconds i had nice heat from the Ford 150. To the best of my knowledge in the last ten years i'm fairly certain that one day it hit -33 C. We have had plenty of days in Barrie where it often hits -22 C.

No comments: